COVID-19 Information & Guidelines for Cleaning and Sanitation
With all the information about COVID-19 being dispersed, SERVPRO would like to share some thoughts about the virus and clean-up methods.
ABOUT 2019 COVID-19
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans. The CDC is responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China and which has now been detected in 50 locations internationally, including cases in the United States. The virus has been named “SARS-CoV-2” and the disease it causes has been named “coronavirus disease 2019” (abbreviated “COVID-19”).
- SARS-CoV-2 contamination requires thorough cleaning and disinfection of all surfaces and materials within the affected area.
- Hard Surfaces can be disinfected
- Soft Surfaces can be sanitized
- Be sure to pay special attention to common use areas where SARS-CoV-2 can be easily spread and where cross contamination may occur.
- Currently there are no disinfectants that have been tested specifically for this particular emerging viral pathogen. The CDC is recommending a labeled Hospital Grade disinfectant with claims against similar type organisms to SARS-CoV-2. SERVPROXIDE has demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to 2019-nCoV on hard non-porous surfaces. Therefore, this product can be used against SARS-CoV-2 when used in accordance with the directions for use against Norovirus Feline Calicivirus** on hard, non-porous surfaces. In addition, SERVPROXIDE currently has EPA approved claims for Feline coronavirus (Strain WSU 79-1683, ATCC VR 989**) and Canine coronavirus (Strain 1-71, ATCC VR-809**). More product specific information can be obtained on the Technical Data Sheet & SDS.
- Consider HVAC and sanitation claims when evaluating a disinfectant
- As with all emerging type pathogens proper PPE (personal protection equipment) use is of the utmost importance.
At SERVPRO of Haines City/Polk City, we are always here to help. If we can be of help don’t hesitate to reach out to us.